Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Can't Touch This


There are few things more stimulating or invigorating than attending a self-defense class! Those who know me know that I can be a rather...errr...feisty/violent person so just imagine what a self-defense class can do for me! It wasn't even a full self-defense class...an officer from the campus police came in to the self-defense class that my Honors Introduction to Women's Studies class held and gave girls from campus (and a few guys) good safety tips and a brief demo of some self-defense moves.
Then, Officer Brennan (big man...) gave us information about the 12 hour self-defense classes he and another officer hold for 5-18 people during the semesters and summer. This summer, I'm going to go for it! It's free, very informative, and at the end, the officers "attack" you with three different dangerous predicaments and you have to defend yourself against them...they yell, swear, say derogatory things to you, make physical contact with you, and you must react to them...good thing both the officers and students wear protective gear...
Oh yeah...that pepper spray I bought about 4 years ago when we went to NYC for spring break (guhhhh...bad trip)? Yeah, they said I should probably get rid of it. And rape whistles? Bad idea...because people won't care about a stupid whistle being blown and the attacker can shove it down your throat....
I learned so much...imagine after taking 12 hours of a self-defense class! I was practically jumping out of my seat to sign up....

No comments: