Friday, May 30, 2008

No nuts here


Some kids are absolutely amazing...I happened to be watching on the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee taking place in Washington, D.C. and I couldn't believe the words these kids were spelling! There was so much pressure on these kids, I was surprised they weren't passing out on stage. I kept thinking to myself, "I wonder how in conversation I could ever use that word?" One boy was particularly funny, but he didn't try on purpose...he was given a word "numnah" (A pad that goes under the saddle to keep the saddle clean and to cushion the horse's or pony's back). Rather surprised and skeptically with his eyebrows raised, he repeated what he thought they said to him...."Numb-nuts?" As soon as the words came out of his mouth, the whole crowd erupted with laughter and the poor boy just stood up there, just as confused as can be. Who would ever expect a boy to say on national TV "numb-nuts"?
Once the commentator repeated the pronunciation, the boy exclaims, "OH!
Numnah! What a relief....!" Turns out he was the kid who ended up winning the bee.
Many of the words were from other languages as well. Many of the words were French and German which confused and ruined most of the kids. The boy that won had one French word that he completely butchered and, again, people started laughing.
Oh, today I was at Starbucks getting an iced coffee and a woman in front of me started getting snappy at the poor girl making her caffeine fix. Appare
ntly, the girl was new to Starbucks and just learning how to make the drinks and she forgot to put whipped cream or something on the woman's drink and the customer just went berserk. The poor girl, looking so chagrined, profusely kept apologizing and you know what the woman said? "Yeah, well, just don't do it again." I swear, I almost smacked that woman..what kind of jerk says that? Sometimes, the customer is not always right....
Then, the woman looked over at me and was about ready to make another snide comment, but when she saw my stern glare and glean of disgust in my eyes, she shut her mouth, looked me up and down, and turned back to her drinks.
Yeah, that's right...just keep moving on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was a good post.

the spelling bee. intense. those kids are crazy! and that's funny that he said that. good thing he won, so now he won't be quite as embarrased 10 years from now when he watches the recording of it.

i hate it when people are rude to employees who are trying their hardest. way to show her you won't partake in that foolishness!

Emily said...

I am sure that if that woman said anything about the Starbucks service, you would have put her in her place. that isn't right.