Sunday, May 4, 2008

Dreams....

Today, I've had some pretty weird dreams...some of which were truly scary. As I was on the couch while my father was watching Nascar, I fell asleep this evening and had some pretty vivid dreams. I cannot remember the first one, but I remember the others that followed quite well. The first started off with my uncle and I driving home from a fair and all of a sudden, either a terrible storm or snow storm opened up right over our car, creating snow or water several feet high around the car. Then, there was a terrible loud crack through the air and when I got home, I saw that lightening hit one of the pine trees my father planted when they first built the house. As it grew (this part is true) it grew rather crooked, but my father never cut it down. So in the dream, when the lightening hit it, it pretty much burnt most of the tree off. I told my father inside the house, he came out to look at it, and he was devastated for some reason. He went back into the house while I stood outside (in the dream, the pine tree was right next to the house when in reality, it's across the driveway from the house). I reached up to the pine tree and I noticed that already new buds and needles were forming.
When I went into the house, I must have been hearing on the radio about how a woman caught a criminal on the loose because her cat was taking meat out to the criminal who was hiding in her bushes, so she told the police. I turned around and someone was coming into my house, through the basement door, so I started to kick and punch.

I cannot remember the next dream, but the dream afterwards scared me and my dog. I dreamed once again I was inside the house, next to the basement door (which is actually next to my room) and it starts off that I'm hearing the story of the woman, her cat, and the criminal outside her house, but then in the dream, I turn into the woman and I'm talking to the police on the phone, counting off on my fingers how many nights my cat has been taking food outside and as I realize it is the same number of days that the prisoner has been on the loose, I look up and he's staring...grinning horribly at me. In the dream, I screamed and ran into my room, grabbed a vase, and began to swung as hard as I could at the man. This is when I woke up, literally shrieking and almost rolled off the couch because I'm wildly waving my arms. The dog jumps up and my father asks, "What are you screaming about?".....uhhhh, a dream? Apparently, sometime during my dreaming, I also took my sweatshirt off....must have been hot.
I have concluded that I dreamed these things for a number of reasons or a combination:
1. I ate pizza that day
2. I am on cold medicine
3. I wasn't watching Nascar, but in the same room with it on TV
4. I was watching on the news about the bad weather around the nation
5. Feeling very emotional today...I missed someone...a lot

Of course, I'm feeling a bit apprehensive and nervous after my dreams. Just a few weeks ago, I dreamed Hillary would win the PA primary and this was during the period that everyone was all Obama gung-ho. A few years ago, I dreamt of horrible tornadoes and then a few days later, the Midwest was hit with tornadoes. Now, I'm not saying I'm a psychic in my dreams, but it certainly makes me nervous...
I went onto a dream interpreting website, just for kicks...and the closest thing I could find to my dreams was this:
"To see a falling tree in your dream, indicates that you are off balance and out of sync. You are off track and headed in the wrong direction."
It's kind of funny..in my medical anthropology class, we're discussing shamans and how they use dreams to "cure" physical and spiritual ailments within their tribes. Perhaps one of them can help me. Or maybe I should not eat pizza and sleep in front of Nascar.
(Just for clarification: I'm not a fan of Nascar...I was just sleeping in front of it as it was on the TV...the couch in the living room is comfy)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

REally? NASCAR. nascar?

that is enough to make you dream crazy dreams.

Emily said...

no, no, no...i wasn't watching it...i was more of a victim of it