Sunday, May 4, 2008

Staying fit and healthy...one carrot at a time...while preventing obesity and the onset of diabetes!

I have come to the conclusion that the best time to take outside pictures is in the late afternoon/evening. This is the best time to be outside...well, until summer comes and the mosquitoes start eating you. But even then, those pesky bugs can't ruin my evenings outside.
Knowing that I had a week of studying ahead of me, I created a plan of action. Usually as I study, I tend to
find something to snack on...nothing big or fancy, just something to chew on because, as science proves, stimulating your facial muscles (especially your mouth) increases your ability to learn and retain knowledge. Mostly, I chew gum, but especially in the afternoons or late nights, I grow a bit hungry and tend to gravitate towards food. So! Due to recent admonishes from a certain someone about how Americans eat too many potato chips and junk food (which, I agree) I made sure I stocked the refrigerator with vegetables and fruits so that instead of reaching for the bags of pretzels and chips my family is fond of, I grab a bag of something healthy.
For example, I tend to eat carrots when I'm hungry so I made sure I had plenty of bags of baby carrots. They're crunchy, light, and nice to just nibble on while scanning my notes on the shamans of the Amazon and how the American government basically threw all ethics out the window during the Tuskegee Experiment when observing African-American men with syphilis. I also have a drawer in the fridge full of tangerines to keep my vitamin C levels up. Again, easy to access, easy to eat.
I realize that even though my family has pretty good metabolic genes, if I don't watch what I eat, my body will pay for it later. Which will then equal higher health care bills. And earlier death. And poor eating habits for my prosperity. However, the whole situation is so ironic: to eat healthy foods, you must pay more which is why lower-income people are at a greater risk for obesity and diabetes....cheaper, processed foods are loaded with too many carbs, calories, sugars, and god knows what kind of chemicals. Best thing to do: grow a garden. If you live in the city, check to see if there is a community-based garden area around.
I shall step off my soap box for now. I will complain about the increase of obesity and diabetes later....my expertise.

No comments: