Saturday, May 17, 2008


Brrrrrr...definitely did not feel like May today...more like March.
I'm thinking that within the next year, I want to try to find and join a book club somewhere in Frederick. Maybe a book club that focuses on some of the classics like Hemingway, Faulkner, Steinbeck, etc. Maybe a little bit a poetry....Oh! Maybe that should be my goal. To read more poetry and expand on my limited knowledge of poems. Honestly, sometimes I just don't get certain poems, especially the more modern ones. Like Jenn's. Or Nicole's. Jenn, I really loved your flamenco dancer one...please email it to me so I can read it again.
Sometimes when I read poems, the meaning behind them are completely lost on me and I end up saying "Huh?" at the end, which is very frustrating. What is even more frustrating is when I re-read the poems over and over again and still! No understand whatsoever.....
Emily Dickinson can really puzzle me..sometimes I understand the point, but the majority...I just shake my head. She's not my favorite poet...
Most people know I like having happy endings at the end of books I read. In fact, I make sure I am guaranteed a happy ending...before I buy a book, I skip to the end and read the ending quickly to see if if it seems happy. Who wants to read a book that has a sad conclusion? For me, reading is a way to escape reality...and reality is never fair nor happy. So....why in the world do I want to read something that is too much like reality? Hence, I read the ends of books before I read the beginnings.
All to ensure my satisfaction and happiness that everything turns out okay for the good guys in the book.
I must admit, though, there are a few books that I enjoy reading which don't end all happy and giddy and sunshiney. There are always exceptions to every rule.

No comments: