Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day...a time of remembrance


Monday was Memorial Day and because my family and I didn't do anything special (I would have liked going to Arlington Cemetery), I went with Jenn and her, ah, date to the parade that took place through Shippensburg. I was pleasantly surprised seeing how many people came to the parade...I knew the Halloween parade in the fall is always a hit, but despite the lack of candy being thrown to little children, a good number of people and children showed up.
When veterans would drive by in brand new SUVs (something rather funny with that) and antique Model-T Fords, they would wave to the crowd, especially the little children. What happened when Jenn, her date, and I would wave? Nothing! No smile, no wave...I felt a bit cheated.
Veterans from WWII (so few left) and I believe Vietnam War walked in the parade, as well as Ladies Auxiliary, various military groups, Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, firemen, dogs, high school and middle school marching bands, little children in daycare, motorcycle riders, and people dressed up in Civil War-era uniforms and clothes with drummer boys.
The day was lovely and perfect parade weather...a very rare event when it comes to Shippensburg events. Thank you for all the veterans and soldiers out there who have served and still serve for the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness that the United States of America proudly stands for!

No comments: