Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of July

Quick post...I am a bit sleepy tonight.
On July the Fourth, Jenn came with me to a picnic area in the mountains with my family and me. She baked brownies which she brought with her....which turned out much better than the cake she and I made for my birthday the last time we went to this picnic area. Stupid frosting...
I love this picnic area. It is called Bear Valley. No bears, though, but perhaps a long time ago. The most wild creatures Jenn and I came across were drunk men who whooped and hollered at
us as we quickly walked past them when we went for a very enjoyable and relaxing walk.
In the area which we live in, there are many beautiful flowers that can be seen growing alongside the roads and in people's gardens that are called Tiger Lilies, or more precisely, Lilium columbianum. Even though they aren't rare and can be found in many places growing wild, I find them so beautiful and exotic, especially when they are nestled amongst other green foliage. I learned from Wikipedia, though, that when you pick the flower, it impairs the plant's ability to reproduce...I've picked a lot of these flowers when I was younger...oops.
I also learned from Jenn that if you were lost in the middle of the woods for some reason and you h
ad no food, you could either eat berries that were dark in color and bumpy (like raspberries) or eat the petals off of a tiger lily. Curious, I plucked a petal off of a flower growing in a stranger's yard and started to chew it. Let me tell you...I wasn't missing out on anything before. It just tasted like lettuce with a floral aftertaste. Not bad, but I'll stick to my salads. I'm sure I also didn't look like the smartest person in the world, munching on a bright orange flower petal.
Aren't things that are bright of color poisonous? Like Amazon frogs?
Here are some photos of the fireworks my brother-in-law set off at the house and the carnage afterwards...they were quite impressive.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great 4th!!
(the more I think about it, we really should have thought through the whole leisurely walking past a group of drunk men at their cabin in the middle of the woods a little better. I'm just glad we wearing sneakers in case we would've had to run. ha.)

Oh, and come on, you know you liked the scrumptious tiger lilly. you'll be snacking on those now all day long:)