Sunday, March 30, 2008

Shippensburg University Ceramics Students are killing me


I know! Who knew that the ceramics class was out for world domination by slowly poisoning people with the ceramic mugs they made and sold to the campus community?
Well, perhaps I am overexagerating...but not by much. A month or so ago, I bought a beautiful mug that was handcrafted by a ceramics student (initials will not be posted to protect the student) and I was smittened by it. I was oh-so-eager to try it out. Today, I decided that while I was studying hard-core for my exam, I would relax by sipping some Lipton's berry tea in my amazing mug.
After being reassured by a friend that none of the toxic paints/dyes/whatever were used, I stuck my mug in the microwave to heat up some water. Nonchalantly, I took my mug out of the microwave, let the tea bag seep for a while, added my mountains of sugar to my tea, and then settled down for some more studying. As time went by, I noticed spots....small, brown spots....appearing, dotting the surface and inside of my once beautiful blue/purple mug!
I was thinking to myself, "Oh crap, I'm going to die," so I frantically call up my friend Jenn to ask her if I was going to die. She did not know. Great. Well, I sent her some phone pictures of my diseased-looking mug and low and behold...my mug was not toxic, spots are just natural.
Now wait a minute! When I purchased this item from the grinning art student on campus, I was not told my mug would end up looking like it contracted leporsy! But, I suppose, as long as I'm not dying, I can live with this spotted mug.
But I did throw the rest of my tea out.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Well, if it did kill you, at least you'd go drinking tea from a pretty mug. ha ha

cough *paranoid* cough